Skip to main content

A Question About: Gambling Addiction

I've recently been asked to do some research into the kinds of help on offer for people who suffer from a gambling addiction, what kind of help is available for their families etc, and what kind of help people feel they need both as addicts and as the family / support network surrounding them.

From what I've read as many is 1 in 50 people have a gambling addiction, and it affects people of all ages and cultures. The increase in people with internet access at home and on mobile devises means that a whole world of gambling opportunities has opened up and more and more people are falling victim to it.

I personally have no issue with gambling. It's not something I do other than an occasional lottery ticket or even rarer raffle ticket (yes, apparently that's gambling too). My grandfather was a
bookie and he always said that the only one to win from gambling was him. And he never placed a bet! I took that as sound advice and never found much interest in it. But it's around me all the time. My husband plays the lottery, by step-father likes to put a "flutter" on the Grand National. I have any number of friends who place the odd bet on a sports event, or play bingo, or poker. Just as I have friends and family members who drink, or smoke. All addictive things, but we assume that no one has a "problem".

1 in 50 people do. 

There's a good chance someone I know personally DOES have a problem, but hasn't shared it.

When I've been looking at the kinds of help on offer I was surprised by the range, from groups like Gamblers Anonymous which are non-professional and non-profit, to counselling and 24 hr phone support, right the way through to residential care at The Priory.

So, my question is: If you had a problem with gambling, what help would you seek? Would you want your loved ones involved in that help and, if so, to what extent? Would you prefer a non-professional support group over trained councillors, or would a residential stay be the greatest benefit?

I would love to see answers, hypothetical or from real experience. Discussion is welcomed. If you don't want to answer publicly then you can email me in confidence at mummawalker@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pretty Princess 💗 No.4 son #boyswhoaregirls #girlswhoareboys

via Instagram http://bit.ly/2G4fgYQ

Prosecco Gin Cocktails #hny #happynewyear #2019 to #2020

via Instagram https://ift.tt/36eg3kL

Pin it Party #19

Welcome to the Pin it Party! with your hosts  My Life as Mumma Walker  &  Embracing the Good Life Let's keep it simple: Link up any posts you have that you would like to have shared on Pinterest Follow the Host boards:  CharlieBeth79  and  embracingtglife Check out and pin other party linkies - as many as you can! Follow as many of the other party linkies as you can Follow this party's board and wait to see your post get pinned!  HERE I'd especially love to see great blog posts with pics, recipes, DIY, crafting, reviews, blogging advice, beauty & fashion. That said, it's pretty much rules free, but please remember that mine is a parenting blog so don't share something which might be seen as too offensive! The Button: You don't have to take one, but it's there if you want it! Tweet Powered by Linky Tools Click here  to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list... Follow Pin it Party by Ch